This site is intended for health professionals only

Carbon monoxide from untested boiler caused death of girl, 6

27 May 2008

Share this article

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is highlighting the fatal consequences of carbon monoxide gas following the death of a six-year old girl who was poisoned by fumes from a faulty boiler.

Hussein Jajbhay, director of property company Amadeus Investments Ltd, was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £35,000 costs at the sentencing today at Blackfriars Crown Court, having previously pleaded guilty to two counts under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Bill Hazleton, HSE Inspector, said: “This tragic case emphasises the importance of maintaining and checking gas appliances. Carbon monoxide gas is a silent killer – you cannot smell or see it.

“Landlords have a duty to maintain their gas appliances, and it is illegal and highly dangerous not to have them checked yearly by a competent, registered gas fitter. Currently, only CORGI is recognised by HSE to register gas installer.”

Hussein Jajbhay was the owner and landlord of the property at Castle Close. The last service and maintenance of the boiler at the property was carried out in January 2002. A landlords’ gas safety certificate was issued following an inspection in January 2003, which expired more than 12 months before the fatal incident.

Hussein Jajbhay pleaded guilty to two charges under 37(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 for failure of maintenance and failure to maintain a gas fitting in a safe condition.